6 Ways To Prepare You Home For Cooler Temperatures
It’s hard to believe, but September is already packing its bags and taking the summer heat along with it. With winter around the corner, fall is a good time to prepare you, your house and your heating system for cooler temperatures. Here are six ways you can ensure you are ready for the changing weather.
- Get a heater or furnace inspection. Your heating equipment has been sitting unused for several months. Before the cold temperatures come and the demand on your heating equipment ratchets upward, you should take the time to schedule an inspection so you are not stuck with any surprises this winter.
- Change your air filter. The dry summer months can result in increased quantities of dust and other pollutants in your home. This can lead to dirty air filters, which can cause your heater to run less efficiently. Your air filter should be changed at least once a month to maintain optimal performance.
- Air out your home. Did you know that your indoor air quality is about five to ten times worse than outdoor air? Take advantage of a cooler day, by opening up your windows and letting in some fresh air. Sometimes more is needed to improve your air quality, especially in metropolitan areas. Service Champions can help further rid your house of pollutants with the use of powered air filters or UV lamps.
- Check your weather sealing. The summer heat can be detrimental to the weather sealing around your home’s doors and windows. Fall is a good time to make sure that your home won’t be letting any valuable heat escape this winter.
- Inspect and clean your chimney. If you have a fireplace, it is a good idea to get your chimney inspected and cleaned before it enters its peak usage time. Also, to prevent heat from escaping, remember to keep your chimney vent closed when not in use.
- Install a programmable thermostat. If you don’t already have one, a programmable thermostat can be a great money-saver. You can program it to run your heating system differently during different times or days. These thermostats help reduce wasted heat while you are not home. Service Champions can help you install and calibrate your new programmable thermostat.
With the seasons transitioning, this is an optimal time to prepare your home for fall and the cooler temperatures that come along with it.
Schedule a tune up now with Service Champions or contact us online to request additional information.