How Your Thermostat Can Save You Over $180 a Year
There is an easy way to save more than $180 a year on your air conditioning and heating costs and it is probably already hanging on a wall in your home. The little box that controls your home’s temperature is key in providing efficient heating and cooling to your home.
Here are three tips to help you save more than $180 a year on energy costs using only your thermostat.
Use Your Time Wisely
If you are like most Southern Californians, you are away from your home at least eight hours a day and asleep for another eight. If you are paying to heat and cool your home to the same temperature all day long, you have not taken full advantage of your programmable thermostat.
According to ENERGY STAR, you can reduce your yearly energy bill by as much as $180 every year by installing and using a programmable thermostat. To maximize your energy savings, adopt a schedule similar to the ones below:
Example Summer Schedule:
- Wake at 6:00 a.m. – temperature is set at or above 78° F.
- Leave for work at 8:00 a.m. – temperature automatically increases 7° F.
- Come home from work at 6:00 p.m. – temperature returns to or above 78° F.
- Go to sleep at 10:00 p.m. – temperature raises at least 4° F.
Example Winter Schedule
- Wake at 6:00 a.m. – temperature is set at or below 70° F.
- Leave for work at 8:00 a.m. – temperature automatically decreases 8° F.
- Come home from work at 6:00 p.m. – temperature returns to or below 70° F.
- Go to sleep at 10:00 p.m. – temperature falls at least 8° F.
Programming your thermostat similar to the schedules above will help you take full advantage of the energy savings of a programmable thermostat.
Give Your Air Conditioner and Heater a Vacation
When you go on vacation, or are away from home a day or more, give your air conditioner or heater a break, too. Programmable thermostats have a vacation setting or hold button that allows you to override its pre-programmed settings.
By making sure your heater and air conditioner run only minimally while you are gone, you can increase your energy savings even more.
Get in The Zone
Many homes in the Southern California area have zoned heating and air conditioning systems. If your home comfort system is zoned, install a programmable thermostat in each zone and enjoy the maximum amount of energy savings. Find out more about zoning your heating and cooling system.
Service Champions continues to provide award-wining heating, cooling and air quality service to all of Southern California. Contact us online for more information.