Are your air ducts properly sealed?
Leaky ducts can lead to a whole host of problems. Sealing your air ducts from entering the ducts and posing a risk to your health. Sealed ducts also help to conserve home heating and cooling costs by reducing unnecessary energy loss.
Why should I care?
According to Home Energy Magazine, Online, improperly sealed air ducts – or ducts with multiple leaks – can contribute to significant health and safety concerns. Leaky return ducts take in air from the surrounding area and then distributes the conditioned air throughout the home.
This air can often contain allergens and other dangerous fumes:
- Dust, pollen, and other airborne particulates
- Moist air that can lead to condensation mold and/or mildew growth
- Vapor from household cleaning agents and other harmful substances
- Vehicle and small machine exhaust fumes
A significant amount of energy is often lost when air ducts have even a small amount of leaks. As a duct loses conditioned air, outside air is sucked in to replace it. This results in your heating or cooling unit working harder than necessary to maintain a comfortable room temperature. Overworking your system wastes energy and drives up cost.
How do I know if I have leaks in my ducts?
In the average home, 25% of the air circulating inside your duct system is lost as a result of improperly sealed ducts. If your ducts are not connected properly, poorly insulated or inefficient, you might notice:
- Higher than average utility bills
- Rooms that feel stuffy or congested and are difficult to regulate
- Excessive amounts of dust in your home despite regular cleaning
- Rooms that are difficult to keep cool in the summer and warm in the winter
- Ducts located in an unfinished basement or crawlspace, attic or garage
What can I do about it?
It is recommended that if you suspect problems with your ducts you contact a qualified service professional. Incorrectly sealed ducts can make a bad situation worse. Missing leaks or only fixing “major” leaks can lead to serious pressure imbalances. Service Champions specializes in diagnosing and sealing air ducts and assures that both energy efficiency and air quality improve. Our team of highly trained technicians is equipped with the knowledge and skill to fix air duct inconsistencies– the first time.
It’s also a good idea to be proactive towards improving indoor air quality. Service Champions offers a selection of indoor air quality products designed to clean and filter the air.
Want to know more? Contact us today or schedule service with us, online.