What is Involved in an AC Tune-Up?
If you don’t know this already, regular maintenance for your heating and air conditioning units is very important. The people who don’t realize this are often those whose systems unexpectedly break down, leaving them without any heating or air conditioning during some of the most uncomfortable times of year.
For the small amount of money it costs to schedule a professional tune-up, the return on your investment can be huge. Besides helping avoid unexpected breakdowns, tune-ups are important for helping your unit recover lost efficiency, operate more safely, increase the overall lifespan of the unit, improve your overall level of comfort, and reduce your operating expenses. Ideally your heating and air conditioning system should be inspected at least once a year.
What Goes Into an AC Tune-Up and Professional Cleaning?
A thorough tune-up should include the following:
- A comprehensive cleaning of the condenser coils. Doing so increases efficiency (which directly impacts energy costs) and can reduce the wear and tear on your system.
- Evaluation of the coolant level to help maintain peak operating performance. Lubrication of all moving parts to eliminate friction and wear that can increase your energy costs.
- A full calibration of your thermostat to verify proper operation.
- An inspection of the ductwork for possible energy loss.
- Tightening and inspection of all the electrical connections to verify safe system operation.
- Evaluate performance of the blower motor and the condition of the blower belt.
These are just a few of the standard checks that should be performed by a reliable HVAC technician. Service Champions offers a full 26 point check-up to help ensure your system is operating efficiently and reliably.
Trained Service Champions technicians will perform a 60-90 minute tune-up and professional cleaning including the following 26 procedures:
- Blower Motor – measure amperage and voltage for proper operation
- Thermostat – test for proper operation, calibrate, and level
- Cleaning existing air filter (as needed)
- Bearing – inspect for wear and lubricate
- Inspect indoor coil if accessible
- Confirm proper return air and size
- Inspect Condenser Coil
- Refrigerate – monitor operating pressures
- Safety Devices – inspect for proper operation
- Electrical Disconnect Box – inspect for proper rating and safe installation
- Electrical Wiring – inspect and tighten connections
- Test/inspect contactors for burned, pitted contacts
- Inspect electrical for exposed wiring
- Inspect and test capacitors
- Inspect fan blade
- Clean condenser coil and remove debris
- Inspect service valves for proper operation
- Measure Supply/Return temperature differential
- Inspect ductwork for energy loss
- Compressor – monitor, measure amperage and volt draw and wiring connections
- Check Unit for Time Delay Relay
- Check Unit for Isolation Pads
- Inspect suction line for proper fittings
- Inspect all fittings for signs of oil and/or leakage
- Check lines and fittings with refrigerant leak detector
- Check the condition of Blower Belt, if applicable
Schedule A $88 Tune-Up Today
At Service Champions, we guarantee after our Precision Tune-up and Professional Cleaning, your utility bill will be at least $88 less the next five months or we’ll refund your $88!
While you should rely on a trained professional to maintain your HVAC system, there are things you can do on your own to help. The easiest and most effective home maintenance is regularly changing your air-filter. Clean air filters help to protect the unit and can improve the quality of your indoor air.
Schedule your precision air conditioning tune-up today or contact us to learn more.